You know how it goes - you hear all the hype about a movie, you pay some hard earned cash to go out to see it, and you sit excitedly as the lights go down and the movie starts only to have the movie end and think “Hmm, that was….ok” This doesn’t have to be necessarily movies that you hated - could be movies that you liked but didn’t live up to the hype.
1) Forrest Gump - It was a great movie, don’t get me wrong - but I had seen it after everyone else had seen it, raving about how incredible it was. Maybe if I had seen it before hearing other people’s opinions, I would have liked it more. I was just expecting a lot!
2) Unbreakable - After the Sixth Sense, I expected something to have that same feeling, that same shock when you figured out what the twist was an tried to remember all the clues. Sure, it had a twist, and sure, clues were thrown about the movie, but it just wasn’t the same. It was a HUGE disappointment for me in the theater! Since then I’ve learned to appreciate and actually like the movie.
3) The Matrix Revolutions - Man, I was so excited for this movie - the movie to tie it all together, and it just ended with a “Whaaa—?”
4) X-Men - I’m a huge fan of the comic books, so truthfully, I don’t think any X-Men movie would have had a chance. Aside from the tingle of fangirl happiness seeing Jean Luc Picard as Professor X, the movie was full of “what the hell?” casting choices, like Halle Berry as Storm and James Marsden as Cyclops.
5) Shall We Dance (the American Version) - LOVED LOVED LOVED the Japanese version. I was excited to hear that there would be an American version created, though I was curious to see how the tone of the movie would be translated due to the cultural differences. There was a subtle joy in the original movie that was never quite captured in the American remake.
6) Oceans 12 - Liked the first one, the second one felt like an inside joke that the audience wasn’t a part of.
7) Star Wars I: The Phantom Menace - Costumes = Awesome, Effects = Awesome, Plot = Crap. Three words to sum it all: Jar Jar Binks.
8) Underworld - I was really hyped to see this movie, because it had some pretty great trailers. Went with a bunch of friends to see it and as we left we just had puzzled looks on our faces. It was just OK.
Hmm…I can only think of 8 right now! I could swear there were more!
Next week: 10 Things That Were Better “Way Back When”
Please subscribe if you want to receive weekly reminders: