Yes, I’m pretty paranoid and really care what other people think of me. However, I know (well, I think) I have a lot of qualities that may annoy other people, but I’m just not going to change them. Either that or its so much a part of my personality that I can’t. Here goes:
1) I’m always late. No matter how early I plan on getting somewhere, something happens to make me late.
2) I never keep in touch. There are only about 2 or 3 people I call on a regular basis, “regular basis” meaning once every couple months. Everyone else I talk to when I see them or when something comes up where I need to call them or email them. I’m just the type of person who can pick up a friendship where it left off, so I don’t feel the need to maintain it.
3) I hate making decisions. Ask me where I want to go and eat? “I don’t really care, I’ll eat just about anything, you go ahead and pick a place.”
4) I’m horrible with directions. Never ask me for directions. I don’t care if I’ve gone that route 1000 times. I would get lost getting into my house from my garage.
5) I’m extremely “middle class” and anything pricey or trendy scares me. I have a hard time eating at expensive restaurants or shopping at high end department stores because I can’t stand to look at the price tags. My parents put 3 kids through Catholic school in the city so we didn’t have a lot of extra money lying around. Any extra money sure wasn’t going to a coach purse or a fancy dinner at the top of the John Hancock building. Throw me in an Old Navy and get me a couple sliders from White Castle and I’m happy.
6) I tend to be pretty judgemental, and with good friends, I can be pretty blunt. If I don’t like who you’re dating, I’ll tell you. If I think you’re screwing up your finances, I’ll tell you. I’ll be a little kinder when it comes to haircuts and such, but outside of that, I know I can get really preachy!
7) I have a horrible memory. I will meet you and forget your name in 5 minutes. I will forget your birthday, and you’ll get a text or belated post on my blog a couple days later. (Oh yeah, happy belated, Chariya!)
8) I hate planning events. Birthday parties. Bon voyage parties. Weddings. Baptisms. I hate making sure that everything is taken care of and that everyone is having a good time. Sure, I love helping to plan an event, but I don’t like being in charge.
9) I’m a slob. Not a dirty nasty slob, but an unorganized slob. This isn’t a problem for most friends, but it is a problem for anyone who’s living with me. Currently that’s Dave, but Nikki, Emily, Jaygee and my sisters have all lived through it as well. I like to think of it as organized chaos - it’s messy, but I know where everything is. Sadly, I’m the only one who thinks that!
10) I don’t answer my phone, I don’t return phone calls, I don’t reply to emails. It’s come to the point where my family is actually surprised when I answer my phone. I usually leave my phone on vibrate because I don’t like it going off when I’m at work, but then I forget to turn it back on ringer. Then I won’t bother to check for voicemails, and when I do, I’ll listen to them and then forget to call back. Same thing with emails. My brain goes so fast that I’ll check my email, find one from a friend, read it, intend to write back later, close the email and never think about it again. Yeah, I suck!
So yeah, the people who love me do it in spite of these negative qualities I have. Believe me, I am constantly trying to get better at these things but this list of ten are the ones that are hardest for me to change!
Next week: 10 Favorite Characters from Your Childhood