Where the Fun Never Ends…til 2010

A couple weekends ago, we decided to go to Kiddieland, since we’ve heard good things about it and Dora the Explorer was going to be making an appearance. Kiddieland is a small amusement park in Chicago (actually Melrose Park) that’s been open since the 1930’s. This year is its last year - I did a little research and found that there’s a family dispute about the land (half of the family owns the park, the other half owns the land) and Kiddieland is not getting a lease renewal, most likely to make way for a more profitable gig, like a Costco or Sam’s Club. It’s a little sad - we just discovered this place this year, and it closes at the end of September, FOREVER!

That said, we’ll probably be going there a lot this summer, since unlike Six Flags, there’s a LOT of rides then Ben can ride here, on his own. He totally had a blast and didn’t want to leave. His favorite was the Mushroom ride, which is kinda like the Teacup ride at Disneyland. I couldn’t ride it more than two times in a row because I’d get so dizzy, but he got a kick out of all the spinning. I thought he was going to love Dora, but I don’t think he had anticipated that she’d be taller than Dave, which freaked him out a little, which is why he’s so far away from her in the picture…

Here’s some of our other pics from the day…

The kids in the back totally make me laugh.

More pics here

2009-06-20 12:01:48

Shannon says

I can’t believe how big he is….I loved KiddieLand as a kid I wish Syd was old enough to go and enjoy it before it closed. Sad!

2009-06-20 17:48:25

used tires says

That is really sad. It seems like all of the great family run business always get shut down. It sounds like your son had a great time. Its kind of cute that he is a little bit far away from Dora in the picture. She is awful big though I must admit.

Till then,

Jean

2009-06-22 18:15:51

thaihoney says

i know…i’m so heartbroken about this. i still remember the first time i got to ride the train all by myself. i actually have a few days off so i’m taking the dude on a weekday

2009-06-23 10:52:07

Nino says

Ahh family… that’s a cool shot in the car.

2009-07-02 05:33:26

Flooring Tampa says

It been always happier moments when family having fun specially child enjoying and smile on our child face that’s most happy moments for us.

2009-07-03 15:17:13

Cash Back says

That’s too bad about Kiddieland. At least you got a year’s warning so you can still go now. Maybe after that Ben will be able to go on the other rides at 6 flags. I’ve been to the 6 flags in california as a child and they had some great rides.

2009-07-06 08:25:32

Jerry says

I used to love going here…even as an adult taking my niece and nephew. I am bummed it is closing, my daughter will not be old enough to enjoy.

I have to laugh about it though. Everytime I have gone, my feet (in sandals) or shoes get totally dirty from the dust that blows around!

2009-07-10 02:50:38

Human Resource Management says

I love to visit such place with children, We always enjoyed with full family because children loved and often like to visit, it also gives remembrance of our childhood.

2009-07-11 20:46:11

used tires says

Just looking at the picture of Dora the explorer, the monkey is also pretty big. The monkey actually looks as tall as your son! wow. Yeah the kids on the boat are definitely funny looking. This should be one of those pictures used in contests for who can come up with the best caption.

till then,

Jean

2009-07-21 19:06:39

Komodo Dragon says

Kiddieland reminds me of a place called knoebles here in PA. It’s a classic park, and everyone loves it because it is free to get in, you just pay for the rides. This is a rare find. I hope it does not get shut down anytime soon.. that would be terrible. Sorry to hear about the loss of this park.

-Ben