Breathe Again…

Did I tell you guys that I’m in Denver? It was my anniversary yesterday, and I didn’t see my husband because I had to catch a plane and he got held up at the hospital. :( So the only time we saw each other was right before we went to work in the morning. Work sucks!

Went out to dinner with Rusty and Alice. The food was so-so, but the cheesecake was scrumptious. Afterwards they gave me a tour of downtown Denver, complete with local gangbangers, people shouting in the street, horse drawn carraiges and a place kinda like the third street promenade, but not really.

It’s nice to be in Denver, but I really do wish I was home.

My new home, that is.

Sorry for leaving you all hanging last Friday with the whole house thing. We spent the last weekend moving things and unpacking. We hadn’t really looked at the things that we got from the wedding last year, so it was almost like getting gifts all over again when we were opening all those crate and barrel boxes. We would have been totally overwhelmed if not for the help of our super mover cousins - Fatima, Claudine, Marlon and Marilyn. For their help, I bought them pizza and let them name my goldfish. We seriously would have been lost without them and Dave’s mom and dad helping out.

So the house…wow…I really love this place. The people who owned it had some great taste and loved electronics. We’ve met them a couple times and they’re funny, friendly, and really happy to be selling it to people that they trust. As soon as you walk in, it just feels so warm and inviting.

Here’s some pics:

This is the living room. They left their speakers for us, isn’t that awesome? On the left you’ll see the fireplace, which has a remote control that turns it on and off with control of the temperature, as well. On the right is the stereo system that’s built into the wall - they left that, too. The color on the walls is this friendly shade of yellow, and the windows on the left bring in tons of light.

This is the basement, I’m standing in the family room taking the picture. Off camera to the left is the pool table that they left, and way back there, you’ll see the wet bar. There’s a sink, a tap (they left a keg for us, too) with CO2 as well. On the left hand wall, that thing that looks like a picture frame is actually a fish tank that’s built into the wall. And they left 4 fish for us.

This is my kitchen. The place that will be the cleanest place in the house because it will never be used. *wink* Stainless steel appliances, under cabinet lighting, dishwasher, cool sink, and all the appliances we got for the wedding match, too!

This stairway goes to the second floor. Didn’t take any pictures of it, though. There’s three rooms up there, a master bath and a regular bath (the house has two other half baths). That door goes to the basement.

This view is from the corner in front of the kitchen. You can see the front door and the dining room from here.

Whaddya think?

I can’t express how good it feels to have a home. How free I feel, and relieved. I may have mentioned this before, but since I’ve been back home, I’ve felt like I’ve been living in this in-between place. Where everything is moving too fast for me, where I’m trying everything in my power to keep my world in control, where nothing feels like it’s mine, where I’ve lost a place that I can call my own.

But now I can breathe easy again. I have my home. A place of my own. A place where the stresses of the world stops and I can take a moment to be on my own without worrying about someone being around.

Now all I need to go is finish this trip without going crazy, and I’ll be back HOME. And for the first time in what seems like a long time, I can relax and be myself again.

2004-08-25 04:38:57

Trisha says

Conrats on your new house. Very nice.

2004-08-25 06:42:45

bumblebootie says

yay! pretty house! ^_^

2004-08-25 07:15:10

chattykathy says

yes, pretty house!!! so where is it exactly? in the burbs?

2004-08-25 07:43:49

thaihoney says

holy sh*t christine, it’s absolutely BEAUTIFUL! lordy lordy!

2004-08-25 07:48:36

Blueher says

Hey I like the house! Looks quite lovely. Also, congrats on one year anniversary. Last year (when I still worked with John Maravilla) I remember him going to your wedding. I thought it was super cool that you got to take pictures at Wrigley! Thanks for reposting the pics since I wasn’t a regular reader last year.
Seems like besides busy work schedule things are going great! Hope it continutes that way.

2004-08-25 08:04:25

Noelle says

Very, very nice! My living room and dining room are yellow also.

Party at the Estacios!!!!

2004-08-25 08:08:25

Pridey says

Awsome Yano! I love the colors of the walls and trim! I just painted the first of my house, I think I like your colors better. LOL I’m never satisfied. Your house is beautiful. I’m so happy for you. AND A POOL TABLE was included! You dog you!!!! :D congratulations!!!

2004-08-25 09:15:24

Sue says

Your house is beautiful! How lucky that the previous owners took such good care of it. I wish you many years of happiness in your new home.

2004-08-25 10:10:40

Denizzy says

The house is really beautiful Christine. I LOVE the dark wood floors. I’m so happy for you!

I know that feeling of not having your own place, your stuff in storage, and having no control over your life. I’ve been in that state for almost three years. I’m glad you were able to get out of that situation and into your own home. Like I had told you, that is the best feeling in the world.

Congratulations and best of luck!

2004-08-25 10:26:21

LeeN says

Congrats!! Okay, for reals now….after this semester I will be planning a visit to Chicago.

It’s so beautiful. I want a house like that one day. =)

2004-08-25 11:18:02

Amy says

I love your new house! That’s quite a gem! What town is that in? Congrats on 1st anniversary and new home!

2004-08-25 12:42:21

Marilyn says

yay! I’m so happy for you…and dave! it was fun helping you guys out–i’ll do it again if you ever need me. Love you! and take care of my goldfish!!!

2004-08-25 13:12:05

Shannon says

geeessshhhhh it’s huge.. awesome.. i like the yellow!!! can’t wait till the partyyyy…hehe.. congrats guys!!

2004-08-25 15:15:37

Lara says

Your house is lovely!! Congrats hon..glad you found your home. :)
Please enjoy Denver for me while you are there. I love that city. I’ll give you the names of a few good restaurants if you like. ;)

2004-08-25 16:37:21

sonia says

Such a warm, yet cool house. Just perfect!

2004-08-25 17:49:20

Sarah says

it’s so beautiful! I love the yellow walls and wood floors! it looks like it has lots of windows to let in the light! congratulations!!

2004-08-25 18:15:18

marie says

one thing that stuck out when i was looking at the pictures of the house were the stairs. the wood looks gorgeous! i like the different colors for the rooms, too.

2004-08-25 18:26:34

Erina says

Wow your house is awesome! Congrats! (does it have a yard?)

2004-08-25 22:44:29

Lissa says

OMG!!! I’m so jealous. Your new home is perfect. Actually you guys really deserve this for all the hard work you’ve been doing. Congratulations!!!

2004-08-25 23:25:59

Kaylene says

Wow! what a pretty house! congrats!

2004-08-26 06:21:09

yano says

Thanks everyone! All you Chicago people stay tuned for the housewarming party in the next coming weeks!!!

2004-08-26 14:30:24

Mike says

I have 5 words in response to the house. “OH MY GOD, POOL TABLE!” Hahaha! Looks like a pretty cool place! Another excuse to go out to the west suburbs. ;)

2004-08-27 08:48:55

el says

yano! your new home is awesome!!!! i can only dream of living somewhere that put together. :)

2004-08-28 11:17:09

sarah says

it gorgeous! congrats to you and dave!!

2004-08-29 07:46:56

tiffanie says

it’s beautiful. I love the yellow and the remote control fireplace. congrats. have fun.

2004-09-02 07:57:51

another Marie says

congrats! the house looks beautiful! i love the shade of yellow too. i wonder though, why there is no handrail or banister by the lower stairs. that might be difficult going down in a rush. nice wooden floors and stairs though. beautiful all around!